HowToBuyAHome.com's principal broker Jim Cadwalader helps people
avoid the stress and pitfalls that can come with buying a home.
His unique home buying process ensures that you buy the best home to meet your preferences,
for the best price possible.
Step 1: Determine Your New Home's Criteria
Our approach is that we are here to help YOU. We are going to be with
you from the beginning until you move into your new home, so the first step is to get to know
- We usually prefer to have our first meeting at your house, where you are comfortable and we can take the time to get acquainted. Learning about your family, future plans, hobbies and long term goals can help us in the search for that dream home.
We are here as your resource, not the other way around. We would rather
come to your house and sit at
your kitchen table where you are comfortable
- We will discuss the details of what you are looking for in your
new home, such as:
- Do you have any location requirements or particular neighborhoods
you want to look in?
- Do you need a large backyard or lot size?
- How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you need?
- Do you have any style preferences of the new home? Modern or
Tudor? Ranch or two-story?
- What other features do you need or want? It is important to
understand the difference. You may want a skylight in the living room,
but you may need a comfortable eat-in kitchen for your family meals.
Read Wants vs. Needs for more information.
Step 2: Real Estate School - Knowledge Makes an
Next, it's time for "Real
Estate School." Understanding all the ins and outs of home sales and
financing is difficult enough for professionals, let alone the layman. The
better prepared you are to face these issues, the less stress and more enjoyment
you get from your home buying experience.
We'll spend a good 2 - 2 ½ hours in "school," discussing a variety of
- Closing Costs
- Discount Points
- Origination Fees
- Mortgage Financing
- Home Inspections
- Prepaid Items
And more. Chances are, you don't know much about any of this. You will when we're
done! It takes a bit of work, but it's worth it.
Step 3: Find Your New Home
The biggest part of the home buying process is looking at houses. It can be
time consuming, frustrating and tiring. The more you know about what to look for
in a prospective home, the faster, easier, and more enjoyable this part of the
process will be for you.
After we've been through a few houses together, we want you to be able to say "Now, this is a good buy!" or "this isn't a very good buy at all,"
and know that it's true.
Step 4: Home Inspection / Make An Offer / Close
Once you have found a home you would like buy come the long process of
negotiations, financing, home inspection, contracts, fees, etc. It can be a
complex and stressful time if you don't have the help you need to get through it
all. We'll be there to help get you through it.
- We will be with you throughout the home inspection process.
- We want to see any problems that may have been
- If the pictures are not clear enough, we will have the inspectors show
us the suspect areas.
We can't negotiate an adequate repair if we can't adequately describe what
the problem is?
- We will go with you to see mortgage brokers or bankers. Jim was a part
owner of a mortgage company for six years; he knows the business.
- We will deal with the selling agents to negotiate special
arrangements and benchmarks needed for the sale to take place.
- We will follow up on the special arrangements to insure they are done correctly.
- We attend all closings, from beginning to end.
Step 5: A Continuing Relationship
We have helped more than 400 families find their new homes in Central
Indiana, and have maintained a relationship with many of them over the
years. We love to hear from them, and are glad to help them in any way we can, even
years after the sale. This is what one former client had to say:
"It has been
2 years since we bought our house but Jim has been helping us even today. I
called him last week about something I suspected in the basement and
he showed up at our house the next day - and probably saved me upwards of
$200 by diagnosing a simple problem for which someone else would have
Some of our former clients have contacted us five or ten years later to have
us help them sell their current house and find their next new home. And we often
get new clients referred to us by many of our "satisfied customers."
Still Have Questions?
Educating yourself about the home-buying process is key to purchasing a home you love and can afford. As your Realtor® and Buying Agent,
we are here to provide the information you need to make an informed decision, answer any questions you might have, and
get you through the home-buying process as easily and stress-free as possible.
If you still have any questions about the services we offer or our Cash Rebate
plan, please contact us for more
information about our home-buying process. Call 317-446-1605 today!